Addiction Treatment Covered by Humana Insurance
A large national healthcare company with millions of members, Humana offers a variety of health insurance plans for families, individuals, military service members, and veterans.1 With resources specific to behavioral health, which includes treatment for addiction and mental health concerns, Humana offers support and coverage for many Californians struggling with substance abuse.
Does Humana Cover Substance Abuse Treatment?
Humana does provide behavioral healthcare coverage, and this includes benefits for substance use disorder treatment.2 Your behavioral health coverage and how much Humana will pay for addiction treatment will depend on your exact plan.
You can immediately check your benefits online with our , which requires only a few details such as your name, member ID and insurance provider. You’ll receive results from us within just minutes.
You can also view the details of your specific plan by using Humana’s MyHumana mobile app. If you have this app, you can use it for easy access to:3
- Your Humana insurance ID card.
- Plan details including deductibles and copays.
- Treatment providers near you.
How Much Does Addiction Treatment Cost with Humana?
The cost of rehab with Humana may be impacted by several factors which include:
- Your Humana plan. Different plans will have deductibles, coinsurance rates, or other costs associated with treatment. You can view your plan’s summary of benefits to learn more or call the number on your insurance card.
- The type(s) of treatment that you utilize. Certain kinds of treatment are generally more expensive than others. For example, an inpatient stay may cost you more than outpatient therapy, depending on your coverage.
- How long your treatment lasts. Longer treatment durations may result in higher out-of-pocket costs. Humana may also place time limits on how long they’ll cover certain kinds of treatment, such as detox or inpatient rehab.
- Whether you stay in your plan network. Generally, staying in the Humana network will help you keep your costs low. Going out of network may result in much higher out-of-pocket expenses.
Because the Affordable Care Act and the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act require most insurance plans to cover addiction treatment the same way they cover other medical services, you should be able to access care without too much strain on your wallet; however, if you have concerns about paying the additional expenses Human won’t cover, you can explore flexible ways to pay for treatment with your provider such as loans or financing.
How to Use Humana Insurance to Pay for Detox & Rehab
Using your Humana insurance for rehab doesn’t have to be complicated. We can help you get started.
First, you can verify your Humana benefits and get some information about your plan may cover by completing the brief form below. All you need to have on hand is your insurance card to input your plan and member ID.
Once you’ve submitted the form, we’ll email you and give your information to help you get started and move forward if you are interesting in beginning treatment with Laguna Treatment Hospital or one of our sister facilities across the country.
If you want in-person help immediately, we are here to speak to you at any time at . An admissions navigator can go over your benefits with you and help you understand your treatment options.
Using a Humana PPO vs. HMO
Humana insurance plans include both preferred provider organizations (PPOs) and health maintenance organizations (HMOs).
An HMO plan will ask that members remain in network in order for coverage to be used and will generally require a primary care physician to provide referrals to substance use disorder treatment, while a PPO will allow members to seek treatment from in- and out-of-network providers with no referral.
Benefits of Humana Coverage for Substance Abuse Treatment
For many people, fears over the cost of rehab create a barrier to essential treatment. If you have a Humana plan, you can leave this fear behind. With a Humana plan, you can seek help when you need it without having to bear the entire burden of treatment costs on your own.
Types of Treatment Covered by Humana
Humana plans may differ in the specific forms of treatment they will cover and to what extent. If you have Humana, treatments that may be covered by your plan include:
- Medical detox (withdrawal management).
- Inpatient rehab.
- Outpatient treatment programs including partial hospitalization (day treatment) and intensive outpatient programs.
- In-person or telehealth therapy.
- Treatment medications.
The type of treatment that Humana will cover will depend on what Humana deems “medically necessary.” Often, substance use disorder treatment requires pre-authorization from Humana, at which time they will ensure the treatment is necessary to treat your addiction, check that your plans covers the treatment, and approve it prior to you being admitted.4
For any questions about preauthorization, you may call Humana by dialing the number on your insurance ID card. Humana can put you in contact with a clinical care manager who can help you. 4
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.