Using Cigna Health Insurance for Detox & Rehab
Cigna is a global health company that has customer and patient relationships with over 180 million people all over the world. In collaboration with over 1.5 million healthcare facilities, clinics, and providers, Cigna’s partnerships include over 175,000 behavioral health providers.1
Cigna contracts with many addiction treatment facilities in California, ensuring that if you need care in the Golden State, you won’t have to look far to find rehabs that take Cigna.
Does Cigna Cover Addiction Treatment & Detox?
Yes, most Cigna health policies provide coverage for addiction treatment. In fact, most health plans, including small group plans, marketplace plans, and government-funded plans (like Medicare and Medicaid) are required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to cover mental health and substance use care.2,3 Due to addiction and mental health treatment parity laws, plans that cover substance use disorder treatment must do so in ways that are no more restrictive than those in which they cover other health services.4
While your Cigna plan likely covers detox and/or rehab, the amount of coverage provided may vary greatly according to your policy.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Cigna Cover?
Depending on your specific Cigna plan, you may have coverage for the following levels of addiction treatment:
- Inpatient or residential treatment programs (including medical detox).
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs).
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs).
- Outpatient therapy visits (in-person or telehealth).
The appropriate setting for addiction treatment will vary depending on your unique needs.5 However, each form of addiction treatment covered by insurance generally includes evidence-based therapies and treatment methods, such as:
- Group therapy.
- Individual counseling.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Motivational interviewing.
- Medication-assisted treatment.
- Family therapy.
Laguna Treatment Hospital—a medical detox and inpatient/residential rehabilitation facility that is part of the Cigna network—provides the above evidence-based methods and more. Laguna also offers alternative therapies, like yoga, mindfulness, and meditation that many guests find helpful in conjunction with more traditional treatment approaches.
Cost of Addiction Treatment with Cigna Coverage
There are many variables that affect the out-of-pocket costs involved in using insurance to pay for rehab. Perhaps the single most important factor to keep your costs down when getting addiction treatment is making sure you choose a treatment facility that allows you to use Cigna insurance for rehab.
Laguna Treatment Hospital is one of the many rehabs that accept Cigna insurance. You can verify your Cigna coverage with our secure .
The summary of benefits and coverage (SBC) for your specific insurance plan is another valuable source of information in discerning costs. Important terms that will help you make sense of your SBC include:
- This is the amount you’ll have to pay per year (excluding premiums) before your Cigna rehab coverage kicks in.6
- Co-payment. A co-payment is a fixed dollar amount you’ll have to pay each time you receive certain health services, such as filling a prescription or visiting a physician. In some cases, outpatient care will require a co-payment for each visit to the facility. Other policies may require you to pay a portion of the treatment costs (co-insurance) instead.7
- Co-insurance percentage. After you’ve paid your deductible, you’ll still have to share some of the costs with your insurer for certain services. If you have a co-insurance rate of 30%, this means Cigna would cover the remaining 70% of the cost of a health service.8
- Out-of-pocket maximum. This is the limit you can be charged for covered health services within a year. Once you’ve paid this amount, Cigna must cover the rest for the remainder of the plan year.9
How Do I Use Cigna to Pay for Detox & Rehab?
The first step in using your insurance to pay for addiction treatment is finding an addiction treatment center in the Cigna network. You can check with Cigna to find rehab centers that are considered “in-network” or you can contact a specific treatment facility directly.
Laguna Treatment Hospital is within the Cigna network. Our confidential online form allows you to verify your coverage within minutes. To verify your Cigna insurance coverage at Laguna, simply enter a few basic details including your:
- Email address.
- Insurer (in this case Cigna).
- Policy number.
If you prefer to speak to an admissions advisor, you can call to get more detailed information about how your coverage may apply at Laguna Treatment Hospital or one of our sister facilities across the country.
Once you’ve identified the treatment center you wish to attend, you’ll likely have to obtain prior authorization from Cigna before being admitted.10 Essentially, Cigna needs to verify treatment is medically necessary and the chosen route is effective and economical. Admissions navigators at Laguna Treatment Hospital can provide assistance with this before starting the admissions process.
Why Use Cigna Health Insurance for Substance Abuse Treatment?
Cost is one of the most significant barriers standing between people with substance use disorder (SUD) and the treatment they need.11 Health insurance enables people to get help that would otherwise be unable to afford it.
Even with insurance, many people have difficulty paying for addiction treatment. In these instances, it can be helpful to review some alternate ways to pay for rehab. While treatment is expensive, the cost of not getting help is almost always higher.
Addiction is a serious problem everywhere, and California is no exception.
- In 2019, 6,198 people died of a drug overdose in California.12
- In 2020, opioids were involved in 501 fatal overdoses in Orange County.13
- 24,988 people in Los Angeles County were hospitalized or taken to the emergency room for methamphetamine-related causes in 2017.14
- 7% of adults in California binge drink (consume 4 drinks on one occasion for women and 5 drinks in one sitting for men), according to 2015 data compiled by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).15
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, it’s not too late to get help. Begin the process of getting help by verifying your benefits with the form below.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.