Los Angeles, California Rehab Guide
If you or a loved one suffers from a substance use disorder, finding the right treatment facility is the key to kickoff your recovery.
Find the information you need to make the best possible choices for treatment with this complete Los Angeles, California Rehab Guide. Learn about:
- Available drug and alcohol rehab treatment centers.
- Addiction trends in the region.
- Treatment types.
Addiction Recovery in Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles medical and clinical professionals in addiction treatment can help those who suffer from a substance use disorder. With their assistance, recovery and sobriety are possible.
Types of Addiction Treatment in Los Angeles, California
Because everyone’s treatment needs vary depending on their level of use and addiction, multiple treatment types are available to meet every patient’s needs. Physicians, family, and friends familiar with the patient are valuable resources for helping determine the type of treatment from which a patient would most benefit.
- Medical Detox. Often the first step in recovery, detox consists of medical supervision provided in a safe environment while a patient withdrawals from drugs and/or alcohol. Medical detox is an important step for patients who exhibit signs of physical and psychological dependence on drugs or alcohol and risk experiencing a health crisis if attempted independently.
- Inpatient Treatment. Inpatient treatment involves administering medical care and therapeutic support 24/7 in a substance-free facility. Medical professionals may typically recommend inpatient treatment for those who suffer from chronic addiction or co-occurring mental health issues.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs. This type of treatment combines structured care similar to inpatient treatment while allowing the patient to live at home during recovery. It can be effective for those who do not require a high level of care due to a medical condition.
- Outpatient Rehab. Outpatient rehab allows patients to live at home during the treatment process. As such, they can work on their recovery while keeping a job and caring for their families. Outpatient treatment is effective for those who do not suffer from chronic addiction or have completed an inpatient treatment program.
Addiction Therapy Services in Los Angeles, California
During treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, local rehab facilities will use various proven addiction therapy services to help patients gain insight into the underlying reasons that may have contributed to their substance abuse.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) strives to teach people how to connect their thoughts, feelings, and actions for increased awareness of the impact these factors have on recovery.
- CBT is effective for those in recovery and those who have relapsed.
- It helps patients recognize triggering situations that could lead to future substance abuse.
- It gives patients the tools needed to overcome them.
Individualized Drug Counseling
In individualized drug counseling, a patient meets with a counselor on a one-to-one basis.
- Helps patients address co-existing issues, i.e., employment, family relations, and illegal behavior.
- A counselor can refer patients to outside sources as needed.
Group counseling helps patients with communication, socialization, self-examination, and self-awareness.
- A small group in recovery meets regularly.
- It helps patients learn to relate to others experiencing similar circumstances.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET) helps patients clarify goals and focus on other priorities in life.
- MET motivates fast, internal adjustments to a patient’s attitudes toward treatment and their drug or alcohol use.
- It’s often used in sync with treatment for co-occurring mental health issues such as depression or anxiety.
What Is the Cost of Drug Rehab in Los Angeles, California?
There are several ways to pay for drug rehab in California. Depending on your provider, your health insurance may cover some of your addiction treatment. If you aren’t covered by insurance, there are additional ways to pay, including financing options, state-funded insurance, and more.
State-funded insurance, or Medicaid, helps qualifying people with lower incomes. With Medicaid, the patient may have to pay for a small portion of the cost of certain types of treatment, after which Medicaid pays the remainder to the healthcare provider.
Medicare is also a government-funded insurance program for people over the age of 65. It covers some, but not all, medical costs for those who qualify.
For those without any insurance, there are still options to help pay for treatment. Some rehab facilities are partially or wholly government subsidized and will accept state or federal medical insurance to help cover some of the treatment costs.
Additionally, some non-profit organizations will work with a patient to create an affordable monthly installment plan to pay off treatment services over time.
To get a better idea of how much treatment will cost, begin by checking your insurance coverage below.
Verify Your Insurance For Los Angeles, California Rehab Treatment
Quickly and easily check your insurance coverage by completing
Worried You May Have a Substance Use Problem?
Los Angeles County, California Drug and Alcohol Addiction
Drug Overdose Deaths in Los Angeles County
The growing problem of drug abuse in Los Angeles County has resulted in increased deaths by drug overdose. A reported 3,172 drug overdose deaths per 100,000 people in Los Angeles County took place between 2017-2019.1
Additionally, the counties of San Diego (1,447), Riverside (1,312), Orange (1,196), and San Francisco (823) are among the highest in the state to experience overdose deaths that same year.2
Heavy Drinking in Los Angeles County
Alcohol abuse in Los Angeles, California, has steadily increased in recent years. In 2018, 18% of adults in Los Angeles County said they had indulged in binge drinking over the course of 30 days.3
That same year, the percentage of adults self-reporting binge or heavy drinking included those in the counties of:
- Nevada (25%).
- San Francisco (25%).
- Amador (25%).
- San Luis Obispo (24%).4
Between 2015-2019, the number of alcohol-impaired driving deaths increased in California, especially in the counties of:
- Mono (up 60%).
- Mariposa (up 57%).
- Plumas (up 50%).
- Orange (up 30%).
- Los Angeles (up 24%).5
Many of the county’s residents are looking for help, hope, and the freedom that comes with recovery from alcohol addiction. Addiction rehab centers in Los Angeles, California, can help them find what they’re searching for.
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, (2021). County Health Rankings & Roadmaps: California 2021 Measure Factors–Drug Overdose Deaths
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, (2021). County Health Rankings & Roadmaps—California, Drug Overdose Deaths
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, (2021). County Health Rankings & Roadmaps: California 2021 Measure Factors–Excessive Drinking
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, (April 2020). Apparent Per Capita Alcohol Consumption: National, State, and Regions Trends, 1977-2018
- University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, (2021). County Health Rankings & Roadmaps—California, Alcohol Impaired Driving Deaths